The Balloch to Clydebank Road Race is one of the longer established
road races in the Scottish Athletics calendar being first held on
31st March 1928.
Originally billed as a "marathon race of 12 miles",
it was organised by Clydesdale Harriers to coincide with the Clydebank
Students Charities Day.
Dunbartonshire Amateur Athletic Association subsequently
took over the organisation of the race and thereafter until 1970,
when it attracted just 3 entries, only members of Clubs affiliated
to the Association were eligible to enter the race.
As a result of the poor entry a decision was taken to make the
race open from 1971 and it later become one of the most popular
races in the West of Scotland. During the "marathon boom" of the
1980s it regularly attracted fields of more than 300 participants
reaching a peak of 484 in 1984.
The distance was increased to the half marathon in
the year 2000 in a successful effort increase the level of entries
and it was discovered at that time that the distance of the original
course was little short of 13 miles. The race has been held over
the present course since 2004.
All photos on this page © Brian McAusland
(Click on images for larger version)
Dunbartonshire Amateur Athletic Association